Sunday, 3 February 2013
I went to the Sapling Bards Imbolc ritual yesterday with Angie from circle. It was an interesting experience and clearly a lot of Christina ritual has been based on Druid/Wicca/Pagan ritual.The circle was consecrated with water and fire- something I would not see in a church- but then the whole circle shared mead bread and foo - something I would see. The who circle was blessed with blessed water - something that happens to every child at its christening.
So what does this mean for what I believe? Well really nothing. I already knew the early church had adapted pagan rituals and festivals to attract them into the churches. And frankly after yesterday I can see the advantage of celebrating in a building in a cold weather. Fire and water food and drink were the absolute necessities of life in the dark ages. So it isn't surprising that their are rituals including them in the bible.So it would have been natural to include them in the Passover celebrations that embrace the crucifixion story.
I have to believe in the power of the Lords Prayer - I saw that for myself one ghost hunt when it really annoyed something nasty trying to come through the portal at the Whispering Witch.And it wasn't psychological because I wasn't expecting have any effect. I certainly wasn't reciting it out of fear................
So am I still a Christian? Well yes in that believe in the existence of Jesus son of Joseph and Mary. Do I think the council of Nicea that set up so much of what now constitutes orthodox christianity was inspired by God? No I believe it was more inspired by politics - with the best of intentions. I know the bible was 'censored' to exclude writings that didn't agree with the the Christians wanted to say.
I believe in one supreme power - but I can accept that all the deities from other traditions are aspects of that supreme power. In fact is the concept of one supreme God and his angels simply a recognition of the fact that God has to have different aspects?
I don't know - and I don't think anyone can know. But I do know there is a basic 'goodness' that can help determine what is right and what is wrong. Do I believe in the basic laws of the Ten Commandments tho? Well yes. They codify what is right and just - and do include 'Thought shelf have no other gods' If I believe in a supreme power what do I make of yesterdays ritual that mention Bridget a lot? Carol dedicated her sip at the mead horn to Bridget, Dave to Loki. I wonder why he chose Loki. But Bridget's festival is Imbolc and interestingly she is a healer and a reader. Now how spooky is it that my first ritual is dedicated to the pagan goddess I would probably take as my own. ButI know this is not because I am being called to Drudism. I know I am being prompted to decdie what I truly believe in. How fascinating...........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment