Sunday, 30 August 2009

The reiki way of life

I have read through the manual again - not worrying too much about the history of how we got to where we are (or where I am?) with Reiki. So different practitioners have adapted and expanded on their practice. Big deal Conventional medicine does that all the time and no-one would try to throw doubt on conventional medicine as a result. But I can easily see conventional practitioners using that as a means to cast doubt on reiki.

One of my pharmacy colleages made what I thought was a scpetical comment about reiki to my FB status where I mentioned going for reiki training. I replied diplomatically and his rseponse was a great surprise. ' Cochrane says it works - I was encouraging you' Cochrane is the bible of evidenced based medicine that all conventional practitioners rely on. He also posted the link to review shat showed a positive effect of reiki and other hands on techniques in arthritic pain. And the moral to that tale is I must NOT assume all my colleagues have closed minds. It was also good to see some scientific backing for reiki. I must ackowledge the needs of my rational sceptical scientific mind.

I think what spoke most clearly to me from the manual was the expanded section on the 5 principals of reiki. So much of what I read there I could relate to my McKenna training. It all fits and thats why it all feels so right.

I havent meditated or done any self healing today yet. I did try last night but I got twitchy again and I decided (rightly ot wrongly) that trying self healing last night after such an intensive day wasn't the right thing to do.

However what I have done is prepare a space where I can meditate properly maybe with incense or an oil burner to add ambience. The oil burner is dual purpose as I presume the tea light flame would. as act as a candle. The tidying up was HIGHLY therapeutic ( life laundry??) as well as being good exercise.

I intend to meditate properly later today.

I didnt sleep well last night mainly because I spent te night chasing TC (our cat) round the bed because he seemed totally unable to leave me alone and insited on sitting on me however many times I pushed him off. As a result I woke with pains in my back. Not my normal back pain - this was deep in my muscles. I did wonder if it could be healing reaction - but its more likely it was just thanks to an obstinate cat. He was far more obstinate than he has been. Whether that is the sort of change Sue suggested I might see in the cats behavior round me I don't know. Felix (our other cat) is as standoffish with me as he always been as far as I can see.

I will make an entry about my meditation and self healing session later.

No comments:

Post a Comment